Part 15: Reproduction from Preconception to Postnatal Care
The Ashtanga Hridayam, the “Heart or Essence of all the Eight Branches of Ayurveda,” is one of the primary ancient root texts of Ayurveda. Today, the Ashtanga Hridayam continues to serve as a root source for Ayurvedic philosophy and protocol, providing clear guidelines in all aspects of health.
As an Ayurveda student, practitioner or enthusiast, you know how important it is to use the authentic teachings of the ancient Vedic texts. During this series, you will be guided through the Ashtanga Hridayam by Vaidya. Jayarajan Kodikannath word-by-word, illuminating the deepest aspects of the Ayurvedic principles. Chanting the slokas together, you’ll experience the richness of the beautiful ancient verse and feel the healing vibration of the words – the heart of Ayurveda! If you are new to Ayurveda, this course will set a stellar foundation for your studies. If you have already commenced your studies in Ayurveda, journeying into the root text will allow you to immerse yourself further and become truly outstanding in the field.
This part of the Ashtanga Hridayam series begins with the first chapter of Sareerasthana. You’ll learn factors for effective conception, pre-pregnancy care, conception, monthly development of the fetus, month by month prenatal care, postpartum care, complications of pregnancy and their management.
Who should take this course
This course is open to all students, be it your first time studying Ayurveda or if you are a practicing professional!
- Uncover the deepest meaning behind the Ayurvedic principles as outlined in the root ancient text
- Experience the richness and healing power of the ancient Sanskrit verses
- Build an authentic foundation of traditional Ayurvedic knowledge
- Learn factors for effective conception, pre-pregnancy care and conception
- Study the factors for monthly development of the fetus, month-by-month prenatal care
- Understand complications of pregnancy and their management
- Learn factors for postpartum care
Part 15 Topics: Reproduction from Preconception to Postnatal Cares
Sareerastahana Chapter 1 – Garbhavakranti Sareera
Ayurvedic embryology and complete pregnancy care
- Definition of conception
- Factors influencing healthy conception
- Reasons for infertility and their remedies
- Pre-pregnancy care and readiness to have healthy conception
- Signs of conception
- Status of embryo during the first month of pregnancy and the care needed for 1st month
- What need to be avoided during the pregnancy
- Development of fetus during the second month of pregnancy and the
- Ayurvedic care during that time
- Changes in the fetus and mother during the third month of pregnancy and the
- Ayurvedic care during that time
- Progress in the fetus and mother during the 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th month of pregnancy and the Ayurvedic care during that time
- Special nature of 8th month of pregnancy and the Ayurvedic care during that time
- Readiness of the mother for delivery in 9th month and preparation to support natural childbirth
- Process of natural birthing
- Support if there is difficulty in natural delivery
- Postpartum care
Chapter 2 – Garbhavyapat Sareera
Complications of pregnancy and their management
- Bleeding during initial stage of pregnancy and its management
- Miscarriage and its management
- Bleeding at latter part of pregnancy and its complications
- Fetal death and its management
Meet the Instructor
Meet Vaidya. Jayarajan Kodikannath (BSc, BAMS), Ayurvedic scholar and clinician
Dr Jay’s words are like sitting in a Gurukul, listening to an Upanishad, from a Rishi. They are so inspiring. So blessed.
Dr. Jay is able to breathe in an incredible liveliness into any the classroom experience. What I really enjoy about his classes is his unique ability to show the same subject matter from many different angles: if you don’t see the subject from one side (due to your own particular way of perceiving things), he will find a way to illuminate for you from the other side.
Dr. J is a true Vaidya. What makes him an especially effective teacher is that he takes great effort to bridge the obvious cultural divide that exists between India and North America. It’s tough, but he does it with ease!
Textbooks and Previous Class Recordings
If you would like to purchase the Ashtanga Hridayam textbooks: click here to learn more
Visit the earlier chapters of the Ashtanga Hridayam
Please note: It is not required to complete previous parts of the Ashtanga Hridayam series to join an upcoming class; students are welcome to pop into the series at any time. NAMA PACE credits are not available for students who study archived class recording materials for this course.
Parts 1-13 – $75 each
Part 1 – The Quest for Longevity: Foundational Principles of Ayurveda
Part 2 – Daily Regimen for Health and Longevity
Part 3 – Seasonal Regimen and Guidelines for Disease Prevention
Part 4 – Ayurvedic Principles of Nutrition
Part 5 – Properties of Food Ingredients & Healing Herbs
Part 6 – Natural Medicinal Ingredients, Food Combining & Preserving – COMING SOON
Part 7 – Dietary Guidelines and the Impact of Foods on the Mind-Body
Part 8 – The Keys to Balanced Doshas and Vitality
Part 9 – The Doshas & Disease Management
Part 10 – Healing Ingredient Classification, Oleation & Sudation
Part 11 – Panchakarma & Detoxification from Preparation to Practice
Part 12 – Panchakarma & Cleansing Procedures
Part 13 – Instruments, Eye Therapies and Bloodletting
Part 14 – $150
Wound Care and Skin Interventions
Save 50% if you enroll in the current session! Enroll in Part 15 and receive the Part 14 recording for $75
To receive your discounted rate, please register for the current session first and contact firstname.lastname@example.org