Instruments, Eye Therapies and Bloodletting
The Ashtanga Hridayam, the “Heart or Essence of all the Eight Branches of Ayurveda,” is one of the primary ancient root texts of Ayurveda. Today, the Ashtanga Hridayam continues to serve as a root source for Ayurvedic philosophy and protocol, providing clear guidelines in all aspects of health.
As an Ayurveda student, practitioner or enthusiast, you know how important it is to use the authentic teachings of the ancient Vedic texts. During this series, you will be guided through the Ashtanga Hridayam by Vaidya. Jayarajan Kodikannath word-by-word, illuminating the deepest aspects of the Ayurvedic principles. Chanting the slokas together, you’ll experience the richness of the beautiful ancient verse and feel the healing vibration of the words – the heart of Ayurveda! If you are new to Ayurveda, this course will set a stellar foundation for your studies. If you have already commenced your studies in Ayurveda, journeying into the root text will allow you to immerse yourself further and become truly outstanding in the field.
This segment of the Ashtanga Hridayam series will cover chapters 24, 25, 26 and 27 of the text. You’ll learn the preparation and practice of eye therapies – Tarpana and Putapaka, blunt and sharp surgical instruments of Ayurveda and blood-letting procedures.
Who should take this course
This course is open to all students, be it your first time studying Ayurveda or if you are a practicing professional!
- Uncover the deepest meaning behind the Ayurvedic principles as outlined in the root ancient text
- Experience the richness and healing power of the ancient Sanskrit verses
- Build an authentic foundation of traditional Ayurvedic knowledge
- Study eye therapies – Tarpana and Putapaka
- Learn about blunt and sharp surgical instruments
- Understand indications, contraindications, classification, preparation and practice of bloodletting procedures
Chapter 24 – Tarpanaputapakavidhi
Principles and practice of eye therapies –Tarpana and Putapaka
- Indications and contraindications of Tarpana (Netra Vasti)
- Preparation and Procedure of Tarpana
- Procedure of Putapaka
- Preparation of Putapaka rasa
Chapter 25 – Yantravidhi
Blunt surgical instruments of Ayurveda
- Definition of Yantra
- Swastika Yantra – Forceps
- Sandamsa Yantra – Tongs
- Mucuti, Talayantra, Naliyantra, Arsoyantra and similar instruments
- Anuyantra – Accessory blunt instruments
- Yantrakarma – Functions of blunt instruments
Chapter 26 – Sastravidhi
Sharp surgical Instruments of Ayurveda including blood-letting
- Features of Sastra
- Mandalagra sastra, Vrddhipatra sastra and similar sastras
- Anusastra – Accessory sharp instruments
- Sastrakarma – Functions of sharp instruments
- Jalukavacarana – Leaching
- Pracchana – Multiples puncturing
Chapter 27 – Siravyadhadividhi
Principles and practice of Venesection
- Properties of pure blood
- Effects of impure blood
- Contraindications of Venesection
- Sites and process of Venesection
Meet the Instructor
Meet Vaidya. Jayarajan Kodikannath (BSc, BAMS), Ayurvedic scholar and clinician
Dr Jay’s words are like sitting in a Gurukul, listening to an Upanishad, from a Rishi. They are so inspiring. So blessed.
Dr. Jay is able to breathe in an incredible liveliness into any the classroom experience. What I really enjoy about his classes is his unique ability to show the same subject matter from many different angles: if you don’t see the subject from one side (due to your own particular way of perceiving things), he will find a way to illuminate for you from the other side.
Dr. J is a true Vaidya. What makes him an especially effective teacher is that he takes great effort to bridge the obvious cultural divide that exists between India an North America. It’s tough, but he does it with ease!
If you would like to purchase the Ashtanga Hridayam textbooks:Learn more
Previous Class Recordings
Visit the earlier chapters of the Ashtanga Hridayam
Please note: It is not required to complete previous parts of the Ashtanga Hridayam series to join an upcoming class; students are welcome to pop into the series at any time. NAMA PACE credits are not available for students who study archived class recording materials for this course.
Parts 1-11 – $75 each
Part 1 – The Quest for Longevity: Foundational Principles of AyurvedaPurchase
Part 2 – Daily Regimen for Health and LongevityPurchase
Part 3 – Seasonal Regimen and Guidelines for Disease PreventionPurchase
Part 4 – Ayurvedic Principles of NutritionPurchase
Part 5 – Properties of Food Ingredients & Healing Herbs
Coming soon! Please stay tuned
Part 6 – Natural Medicinal Ingredients, Food Combining & Preserving
Coming soon! Please stay tuned
Part 7 – Dietary Guidelines and the Impact of Foods on the Mind-BodyPurchase
Part 8 – The Keys to Balanced Doshas and VitalityPurchase
Part 9 – The Doshas & Disease ManagementPurchase
Part 10 – Healing Ingredient Classification, Oleation & Sudation
Part 11 – Panchakarma & Detoxification from Preparation to PracticePurchase