The Doshas and Disease Management
The Ashtanga Hridayam, the “Heart or Essence of all the Eight Branches of Ayurveda,” is one of the primary ancient root texts of Ayurveda. Today, the Ashtanga Hridayam continues to serve as a root source for Ayurvedic philosophy and protocol, providing clear guidelines in all aspects of health.
As an Ayurveda student, practitioner or enthusiast, you know how important it is to use the authentic teachings of the ancient Vedic texts. During this series, you will be guided through the Ashtanga Hridayam by Dr. (Vaidya) Jayarajan Kodikannath word-by-word, illuminating the deepest aspects of the Ayurvedic principles. Chanting the slokas together, you’ll experience the richness of the beautiful ancient verse and feel the healing vibration of the words – the heart of Ayurveda! If you are new to Ayurveda, this course will set a stellar foundation for your studies. If you have already commenced your studies in Ayurveda, journeying into the root text will allow you to immerse yourself further and become truly outstanding in the field.
This segment of the Ashtanga Hridayam series will cover the Doshas, or three humours, beginning with their properties and functions in the mind-body. Studying the impact of Dosha combinations and imbalances, we will begin looking at the management of disease.
Who should take this course
This course is open to all students, be it your first time studying Ayurveda or if you are a practicing professional!
- Uncover the deepest meaning behind the Ayurvedic principles as outlined in the root ancient text
- Experience the richness and healing power of the ancient Sanskrit verses
- Build an authentic foundation of traditional Ayurvedic knowledge
- Learn the locations, functions and dysfunctions of the Doshas
- Comprehend the influence of Doshas on health and how to manage their imbalances
- Calibrating the use of nourishing and depleting disease management techniques
Part 9 – Fall 2019 Session Dates
Sep 4, 11, 18, 25
Oct 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
Nov 6, 13, 27
Dec 4, 11, 18
Chapter 12 – Doshabhedīyam
- Subclassification of Doshas
- The function and dysfunction of Doshas
- How the combination of Doshas influences health
Chapter 13 – Doshopakramanīyam
Management of imbalances caused by Dosha imbalances
Chapter 14 – Dvividhopakramanīyam
- Classification of disease management methodologies
- Managing diseases of accumulation and stagnation
- Managing diseases of depletion and degeneration
- Complications of excessive reductive protocols
Meet the Instructor
Meet Dr. Vaidya Jayarajan Kodikannath (BSc, BAMS), Ayurvedic scholar and clinician
Previous Class Recordings
Visit the earlier chapters of the Ashtanga Hridayam
Please note: It is not required to complete previous parts of the Ashtanga Hridayam series to join an upcoming class; students are welcome to pop into the series at any time. NAMA PACE credits are not available for students who study archived class recording materials for this course.
Parts 1-7 – $75 each
The Quest for Longevity: Foundational Principles of Ayurveda
Daily Regimen for Health and Longevity
Seasonal Regimen and Guidelines for Disease Prevention
Ayurvedic Principles of Nutrition
Properties of Food Ingredients & Healing Herbs
Natural Medicinal Ingredients, Food Combining & Preserving
Dietary Guidelines and the Impact of Foods on the Mind-Body
Part 8 – $150
The Keys to Balanced Doshas and Vitality
Save 50% on Part 8 if purchased when you sign up for the upcoming live class!