Dietary Guidelines and the Impact of Foods on the Mind-Body
The Ashtanga Hridayam, the “Heart or Essence of all the Eight Branches of Ayurveda,” is one of the fundamental ancient root texts of Ayurveda. Today, the Ashtanga Hridayam continues to serve as a root source for Ayurvedic philosophy and protocol, providing clear guidelines in all aspects of health.
As an Ayurveda student, practitioner or enthusiast, you know how important it is to use the authentic teachings of the ancient Vedic texts. During this course you will be carefully guided in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of the content of this text. This course will particularly focus on properties of food ingredients and how they affect our digestive tracts. The components of healing herbs and how they can be utilized to improve general health and well being. We will also examine the importance of food combining and preservation as an integral part of maintaining good health.
This course is open to all students, be it your first time studying Ayurveda or if you have already commenced your studies. Our students are from every walk of life imaginable but are all bound together by the same commitment to a healthy mind, body and spirit through the complete natural healthcare system that is Ayurveda.
- Uncover the deepest meaning behind the Ayurvedic principles as outlined in the root ancient text by Vedic scholar, Dr. Vaidya Jayarajan
- Experience the richness and healing power of the ancient Sanskrit verses
- Build an authentic foundation of traditional Ayurvedic knowledge
- Learn guidelines for food and fluid intake and the results of improper eating, including the concept of Ama, gut disorders and toxicity
- Understand the genesis, elemental composition and qualities of natural ingredients, as well as their impact on Rasa, Veerya, Vipaka, Prabhava and Vichitrapratyayarabdha
- Discover the concept of six tastes: their origins, functions in the mind-body system and the taste attributes of common natural ingredients
Lessons – Part 7
Dates: Sep 5, 12, 19, 26; Oct 3, 10, 17, 24, 31; Nov 7, 5, 14, 28; Dec 5, 12, 19
Chapter 8 – Matrasitiyam
- Food guidelines
- The concept of Ama, or toxins
- Gut disorders due to improper eating and their remedies
- Toxicity from improper eating
- Guidelines for fluid intake
Chapter 9 – Dravyadivijnaniyam
- Genesis and elemental composition of various natural ingredients
- Qualities of natural ingredients and their actions on the mind-body system including Rasa, Veerya, Vipaka, Prabhava and Vichitrapratyayarabdha
Chapter 10 – Rasabhediyam
- Origins of the six tastes and their qualities
- The functions of the tastes in the mind-body system
- Taste attributes of common natural ingredients and taste combinations
Meet Ayurvedic Scholar Dr. Jayarajan Kodikannath
Visit the earlier chapters of the Ashtanga Hridayam
Watch the archived class recordings for previous chapters!
Please note: It is not required to complete previous parts of the Ashtanga Hridayam series to join an upcoming class; students are welcome to pop into the series at any time. NAMA PACE credits are not available for students who study archived class recording materials for this course.
Part 1: The Quest for Longevity: Foundational Principles of Ayurveda – $75
Part 2: Daily Regimen for Health and Longevity – $75
Part 3: Seasonal Regimen and Guidelines for Disease Prevention – $75
Part 4: Ayurvedic Principles of Nutrition – $75
Part 5: Properties of Food Ingredients & Healing Herbs – $75
Part 6: Natural Medicinal Ingredients, Food Combining & Preserving – $150 $75
Save an additional 50% on Part 6 if purchased when you sign up for the upcoming live class!
Dr Jay’s words are like sitting in a Gurukul, listening to an Upanishad, from a Rishi. They are so inspiring. So blessed.
Dr. Jay is able to breathe in an incredible liveliness into any the classroom experience. What I really enjoy about his classes is his unique ability to show the same subject matter from many different angles: if you don’t see the subject from one side (due to your own particular way of perceiving things), he will find a way to illuminate for you from the other side.