Spring applications open! Save $275 through March 23
Students from all schools of Ayurveda are welcome! Expand your scope of practice with clinical study of the disease process according to the traditional science of Ayurveda as outlined in the ancient Vedic texts. You’ll learn the etiological factors which contribute to the nature and structure of any disease and management techniques for the various disease stages.
The AP program is an advanced certification with professional potential and is a prerequisite to our Ayurvedic Doctor (AD) program.
Who Should Take This Course
- Completion of the Ayurvedic Health Counselor (AHC) – NAMA Track or an equivalent program. AHC NAMA Track graduates can enter the AP program directly. Students who have completed a program equivalent to the AHC from other institutions will be required to undergo an interview process to determine their competency in Ayurvedic principles and practices.
- It is important for Ayurvedic students of professional programs to have adequate knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology (A&P). The equivalent of 6 college level Anatomy & Physiology credits are required. It’s not required to complete the A&P course prior to enrollment in this course; it is a graduation requirement that can be taken as a corequisite, alongside this course. If you need to satisfy the A&P corequisite, we offer a partner course you can take entirely online. Students are required to provide proof of A&P course completion to receive their certification. To view our partner course or submit your corequisite documentation, click here to learn more >
Scope of Practice
Upon graduation, Ayurvedic Practitioners are able to:
- Perform Health History intakes, Ayurvedic Nutritional & Lifestyle consultations
- Determine and analyze a client’s unique Body Constitution
- Suggest food and lifestyle changes
- Recommend personalized Ayurvedic Therapies, Home Remedies, Yoga & Pranayama
- Explain, offer talks, write articles, and offer classes on Ayurvedic concepts
For more detail, please see the complete Scope of Practice: Ayurvedic Practitioner.
Professional possibilities as an AP graduate
- All Graduates can start a wellness counseling business or align with other wellness professionals to create an integrative practice.
- Licensed Healthcare Practitioners and Healers from all backgrounds can apply their Ayurvedic knowledge to enhance their current practice.
- Massage Therapists and Bodyworkers can expand/deepen their offering by incorporating Ayurvedic techniques.
- Estheticians in skin and beauty may enhance their treatments, services, and products.
- Freelance Writers may launch Ayurvedic publications, publish articles, or create blog content.
- Research-Savvy Students may get involved in Ayurvedic research projects. The Office of Alternative Medicine funds many research projects in holistic healthcare.
- Entrepreneurs may develop products, open wellness centers, spas, or resorts.
- Students in Academics may teach or deepen their education with more continued studies. Kerala Ayurveda Academy offers advanced programs in continuing education in the U.S. as well as programs in Kerala Ayurveda Academic Facilities in Cochin and Bangalore, India.
These possibilities vary according to the level of professional education in Ayurveda.
The Ayurvedic Practitioner 910-hour certification is based on the second goal of Ayurveda – Aaturasya Vikara Prashamanam (Disease Management). In this program, the educational emphasis is on the disease process and Ayurvedic management of the stages of disease. A certification of completion is awarded after 910 hours are completed.
- 1.5 Years -910 Total Hours
- 10 Weekend Intensives – in person** or live streamed*
- 1 Practical Immersion – in person**
- 230 Hours AP Clinical Internship – in person**
- 30 Virtual Classes – live streamed*
- 10 Monthly Clinical Case Discussions – live streamed*
- 5 Group Mentoring Sessions – live streamed*
- Online Recorded Lectures – elearning* – self-paced
- Assignments – elearning* – self-paced
* Internet connection required. Live streamed sessions are recorded for later viewing.
|Weekend Intensives attended in person** or live streaming
|Weekend Intensives attended in person**
*This program is NAMAC Recognized. The National Ayurvedic Medical Accreditation Council (NAMAC) provides oversight over all recognized professional Ayurvedic educational programs. NAMAC recognition status indicates that programs administer an approved course of study, thus ensuring well-trained professionals, and provides greater transparency for consumers and the general public. Graduates of this program qualify to sit for NAMACB Certification Exams. For more information on NAMAC program recognition, please visit: https://www.ayurvedicaccreditation.org/recognized-programs.
**In a letter dated August 24, 2022, the National Ayurvedic Medical Association Certification Board (NAMACB) has approved an adjusted in person waiver policy for schools. This means that all classes held from September 14, 2022, through April 30, 2023, which require in person attendance will have the flexibility to attend live streaming to meet the in-person requirements.
The AP curriculum is designed to introduce students to the advanced clinical study in the foundations of Ayurvedic theory and practice. The program features a comprehensive curriculum designed to give the individual in-depth knowledge and understanding of the philosophy, principles, theory, and practical application in Ayurvedic disease management. The course is structured to align with classical Ayurvedic texts, offering an authentic education in the traditional Vedic system of knowledge.
At this level, students are taught and trained in clinical assessment of the disease process, the pathways of disease and management protocols in various stages of disease. With guided references to Ayurvedic texts, presentations, and case studies, students gain confidence and consistency in understanding the etiological factors that contribute to the nature and structure of any disease. With this knowledge, they will become skilled independent practitioners adept at creating management plans for different stages of disorders.
For more information about the curriculum, please consult the course catalog.
Delivery of the program
The Ayurvedic Practitioner certification program covers both theoretical and practical training, including a blend of online learning, in person hands-on training experience, clinical encounters and self-paced assignments. Live classroom sessions and hands-on practicums are supplemented by online recorded lectures on our elearning platform.
- Advanced Ayurvedic anatomy, physiology, and principles
- Pathophysiology and Ayurvedic diagnostic methods
- Advanced herbology
- Advanced bodywork and detoxification (Pancharma)
- Nidana and Samprampti
- Ayurvedic clinical assessment and management protocol
- Preparation of specific formulations and clinical applications of Vedic formulations
- Management of Digestive System & Metabolic Disorders
- Management of Nervous System & Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Management of Respiratory System &
Cardiovascular System Disorders
- Management of Skin, Special Senses & Mental Disorders
- Management of Reproductive & Excretory System Disorders, Gynecology & Pediatrics
In person & convenient online learning
With a robust elearning system, Kerala Ayurveda Academy connects a global community of students of Ayurveda, providing them with ease and flexibility of home study. In person sessions are held at Kerala Ayurveda Academy & Wellness Center in Milpitas, CA.
All classes, except for the AP Practical Immersions and Clinical Internships, are live streamed and recorded for later viewing. Whether students choose to participate in the Hybrid or NAMA Track, they may revisit the online archived classes later at their convenience.
Clinical Internships in the U.S. and India
Kerala Ayurveda Academy offers multiple internship format options for AP students which are also open to students and graduates from other programs, as well as AP alumni for continuing education.
|U.S. Only||U.S. + India||U.S. + Independent|
|U.S. AP Clinical Internships
5 sessions total
|U.S. AP Clinical Internships:
U.S. Clinical Internships
and Independent Internships
The U.S. AP Clinical Internship is offered in five-day, week-long sessions at our Academy & Wellness Center in Milpitas, CA.
Our India Internship is offered in 15-day group sessions. The India Internship is a one-of-a-kind experience studying and experiencing Ayurveda at Kerala Ayurveda’s healing centers in India.
Independent Internships are internship requirement format options subject to approval.
For more information about the internship options, please consult the course catalog.
Kerala Ayurveda Academy offers a premier faculty of doctors and practitioners with vast clinical expertise and experience in teaching, research, and practice in several clinical settings, including Ayurvedic hospitals and centers in India.
For more information about our faculty, please visit our Faculty section.
Student & Alumni Services
At Kerala Ayurveda Academy, our students are for life! Guidance and support is available through completion of the program and beyond.
During the AP program
- During the live streamed classes, online students can interact directly with Class Moderators and Faculty.
- Mentors are assigned to all students so they can receive guidance and support from Kerala Ayurveda’s seasoned practitioners.
- Student Support is available anytime to assist with educational service planning and tuition management.
For graduates: alumni benefits
- Continued access to curriculum
- Discounts on educational programs, products, and wellness services
- Feature listing in our online Ayurvedic health provider database – coming soon!