Spring applications open!
Gain the tools and knowledge you need to ignite the healer within you. Our level I program is both an educational journey and personal transformation with profound professional potential. You’ll study a comprehensive curriculum designed to provide the individual with in-depth knowledge and understanding of the philosophy, principles, theory, and practical application of Ayurvedic preventive care. This program offers maximum flexibility with multiple format options, both in person and 100% online learning.
The AHC program is a beginner level certification with professional potential and is a prerequisite to our more advanced Ayurvedic Practitioner (AP) and Ayurvedic Doctor (AD) programs.
Who Should Take This Course
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- It is important for Ayurvedic students of professional programs to have adequate knowledge of Anatomy and Physiology (A&P). The equivalent of 4 college level Anatomy & Physiology credits are required. It’s not required to complete the A&P course prior to enrollment in this course; it is a graduation requirement that can be taken as a corequisite, alongside this course. If you need to satisfy the A&P corequisite, we offer a partner course you can take entirely online. Students are required to provide proof of A&P course completion to receive their certification. To view our partner course or submit your corequisite documentation, click here to learn more >
No former knowledge of Ayurveda is required to join this program – we begin with the fundamentals of Ayurveda.
Scope of Practice
Upon graduation, Ayurvedic Health Counselors are able to:
- Determine and analyze a client’s unique Body Constitution
- Conduct Ayurvedic lifestyle consultations
- Give Ayurvedic guidance on Daily Routines, Pranayama and Meditation
- Offer guidance on special Ayurvedic therapies and home remedies
For more detail, please see the complete Scope of Practice: Ayurvedic Health Counselor.
Professional possibilities as an AHC graduate
- All Graduates can start a wellness counseling business or align with other wellness professionals to create an integrative practice.
- Licensed Healthcare Practitioners and Healers from all backgrounds can apply their Ayurvedic knowledge to enhance their current practice.
- Massage Therapists and Bodyworkers can expand/deepen their offering by incorporating Ayurvedic techniques.
- Estheticians in skin and beauty may enhance their treatments, services, and products.
- Freelance Writers may launch Ayurvedic publications, publish articles, or create blog content.
- Research-Savvy Students may get involved in Ayurvedic research projects. The Office of Alternative Medicine funds many research projects in holistic healthcare.
- Entrepreneurs may develop products, open wellness centers, spas, or resorts.
- Students in Academics may teach or deepen their education with more continued studies. Kerala Ayurveda Academy offers advanced programs in continuing education in the U.S. as well as programs in Kerala Ayurveda Academic Facilities in Cochin and Bangalore, India.
These possibilities vary according to the level of professional education in Ayurveda.
The Ayurvedic Health Counselor 600 Hour certificate program focuses on the first goal of Ayurveda: to preserve the health of the healthy. This year-long program provides students with a comprehensive Ayurvedic education. Upon completion, one will be able to practice as an Ayurvedic Health Counselor providing clients with practical information on wellness and the prevention of disease.
- 1 Year
- 600-692 Total Hours
- 11 Weekend Intensives – in person** or live streamed*
- Two 5-Day Practical Immersions – in person** or live streamed*
- 1-Day Clinical Practicum – in person** or live streamed*
- 28 Tuesday Virtual Classes* – live streamed*
- 6 Monday Virtual Classes* – live streamed*
- 10 Group Mentoring Sessions – live streamed* –
- Online Recorded Lectures – elearning* – self-paced
- Assignments – elearning* – self-paced
- Optional NAMA Track: Two 5-Day AHC Clinical Internships – in person**
*Internet connection required. Live streamed sessions are recorded for later viewing.
All Online Track
|Weekend Intensives and Practical Immersions attended live streaming
No AHC Clinical Internships
|Weekend Intensives and Practical Immersions attended in person** or live streaming
No AHC Clinical Internships
|Weekend Intensives attended in person** or live streaming
Practical Immersions attended in person**
AHC Clinical Internships attended in person**
*This program is NAMAC Recognized. The National Ayurvedic Medical Accreditation Council (NAMAC) provides oversight over all recognized professional Ayurvedic educational programs. NAMAC recognition status indicates that programs administer an approved course of study, thus ensuring well-trained professionals, and provides greater transparency for consumers and the general public. Graduates of this program qualify to sit for NAMACB Certification Exams. For more information on NAMAC program recognition, please visit: https://www.ayurvedicaccreditation.org/recognized-programs.
**In a letter dated August 24, 2022, the National Ayurvedic Medical Association Certification Board (NAMACB) has approved an adjusted in person waiver policy for schools. This means that all classes held from September 14, 2022, through April 30, 2023, which require in person attendance will have the flexibility to attend live streaming to meet the in-person requirements.
Ayurveda’s emphasis on diet and lifestyle can have a profound positive impact on those who practice the wisdom. The AHC program features a comprehensive curriculum designed to give the individual in-depth knowledge and understanding of philosophy, principles, theory, and practical application in Ayurvedic preventive care. The course is structured to align with classical Ayurvedic texts, offering an authentic education in the traditional Vedic system of knowledge.
The emphasis of the level I AHC program is on healthy living and prevention of disease. At this level, students are taught a classical foundation in Ayurvedic theory. They may immediately apply the principles to their own lives and share them with others. Over the course of the program, students gain a variety of skills in Ayurvedic assessment of mind-body constitution and state of imbalances. After skills training in Ayurvedic counseling and deepening their knowledge of Ayurveda’s guidelines for prevention and healthy living, students gain confidence in applying what they have learned in client settings. Through in person practicum and assignments, students practice assessing clients and making recommendations for general health and disease prevention through lifestyle adjustments, diet, and seasonal guidelines.
Delivery of the program
The AHC program covers both theoretical and practical training, including a blend of online learning, in person hands-on training experience, clinical encounters and assignments. Live classroom sessions and hands-on practicums are supplemented by online recorded lectures.
- The history of Ayurvedic science
- A holistic definition of health
- The elements and Doshas
- Ayurvedic physiology and psychology
- Seasonal guidelines and health prevention science
- Cooking and nutrition
- Yoga and managing the mind
- Ayurvedic herbology
- Introduction to Ayurvedic bodywork (Panchakarma)
- Introduction to management of Dosha imbalances
For more information about the curriculum, please consult the course catalog.
In person & convenient online learning
With a robust elearning system, Kerala Ayurveda Academy connects a global community of students of Ayurveda, providing them with ease and flexibility of home study. In person sessions are held at Kerala Ayurveda Academy & Wellness Center in Milpitas, CA.
All classes, except for the AHC Clinical Internships, are live streamed and recorded for later viewing. Whether students choose to participate in the All Online, Hybrid or NAMA Track, they may revisit the online archived classes later at their convenience.
Kerala Ayurveda Academy offers a premier faculty of doctors and practitioners with vast clinical expertise and experience in teaching, research, and practice in several clinical settings, including Ayurvedic hospitals and centers in India.
For more information about our Faculty, please visit our Faculty page.
Student & Alumni Services
At Kerala Ayurveda Academy, our students are for life! Guidance and support is available through completion of the program and beyond.
During the AHC program
- During the live streamed classes, online students can interact directly with class moderators and faculty.
- Mentors are assigned to all students so they can receive guidance and support from Kerala Ayurveda’s seasoned practitioners.
- Student Support is available anytime to assist with educational service planning and tuition management.
For graduates: alumni benefits
- Continued access to curriculum
- Discounts on educational programs, products, and wellness services
- Feature listing in our online Alumni Database