In a quest to be productive, we live in a stressful world. Technology and advancements ought to have made us healthier and more resilient; yet, we are in the midst of a pandemic, back to the drawing board stage worried about matters such as boosting immunity and managing comorbidities. World over, chronic and stress related disorders abound. At home in the U.S., six in ten people suffer from lifestyle-based disorders, such as, type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disorders, lung, kidney and joint diseases and certain forms of cancer. We have ignored two aspects of health: prevention through diet and lifestyle management, and personalized disease management. The 5,000 year old wisdom of Ayurveda addresses both. With more and more people turning to complementary and alternative medicine and integrative solutions, Ayurvedic wellness training offers a unique opportunity for career advancement in the new age which is unfolding.
The Ayurvedic Wellness Practitioner (AWP) program is a 1,000 hour, 1.5 year level II course, as part of our advanced Ayurvedic training offerings. It is approved by the National Ayurvedic Medical Association (NAMA) for level II professional competencies.
In a snapshot, the educational journey to level II includes:
- Prerequisite: level I Ayurvedic Wellness Counselor training, which focuses on prevention and lifestyle enhancement, with KAA or another NAMA-approved school
- Level II training focusing on disease management
- Corequisite (required by graduation): 6 credits of Anatomy and Physiology
As Ayurvedic Counselors, you learned to align people with nature and balance their intrinsic constitution. However, many people do have allied conditions they’d like to address and the Ayurveda Practitioner training helps you understand the etiology and management of diseases. You are also able to guide people with creating balance in much greater depth. The advanced Ayurvedic training imparts the clinical skills to help people heal holistically from physical or mental imbalances by addressing the root cause of diseases rather than providing symptomatic relief.
Learn about upskilling from our Academy Director
Our Academy Director, Vaidya. Jayarajan Kodikannath (BSc, BAMS) discusses upskilling from Level I to Level II AWP
Benefits of studying the Ayurvedic Practitioner Program
AWP provides advanced clinical training in disease management that includes both theory and practice through case studies. The course combines the best of classical Ayurvedic texts with modern clinical application. You learn personalized disease management of clients based on treating the individual holistically. You are trained to make a detailed clinical assessment of the disease process, pathways and device management protocols in different disease stages. You have access to the knowledge of additional herbs and Vedic formulations and the Shamana (pacification) and Shodhana (cleansing) strategies are more comprehensive, in-depth and robust.
You can now practice as independent Ayurvedic Wellness Practitioners. Our graduates are trailblazers, redefining health care. Many of our alumni set up independent practices or join integrative practices while some add Ayurvedic consulting to their existing healthcare practice. Some continue with study or research, others become educators and yet others use their entrepreneurial drive to set up manufacturing companies or blogs, become chefs, retailers or writers.
The journey includes:
- Core Ayurvedic principles for holistically optimizing life’s purpose and potential
- Assessment of individual constitution, imbalances and means to restore homeostasis
- A clinical understanding of the etiology and pathogenesis of diseases
- In-depth diet, herbs, formulations and lifestyle practices for pacification and knowledge of detailed cleansing therapies
- Personalized and holistic disease management
- Research for detailed study and community presentations for outreach
- Self-assessment and self-care tools
- Clinical internships to be able to handle clients independently and with confidence
What makes Kerala Ayurveda Academy’s program unique
- Lineage: KAA has the backing of a 75 year lineage of Kerala Ayurveda India and US in teaching and practicing authentic, traditional Ayurveda from root principals. Globally, we touch almost a million lives every year and Kerala Ayurveda is an industry leader in high quality, traditional Ayurvedic herbal products, healing centers, research and Ayurvedic wellness training and education.
- Comprehensive Program: This is one of the most comprehensive NAMA-approved programs available in the US for an Ayurvedic clinician that includes live-streamed and in class modules, virtual classes, recorded lectures and material, assessments, projects, case studies, community presentations, research papers and clinical internship.
- Pre-clinical Modules: The AWP course builds on the modules of the level I of training in much greater detail including clinical assessment, herbology and pharmaceuticals and Panchakarma.
- Clinical Modules: The Level II course delves into clinical modules of disease management of the gastrointestinal, nervous, musculoskeletal, respiratory, mind and other systems.
- Faculty: KAA has a highly experienced premier faculty of Vaidyas and practitioners who bring their vast clinical experience in teaching, research and practice into the classroom to provide a rich learning experience.
- Team: Our team members are graduates of the AWC program and passionate about Ayurveda. We are committed to advancing Ayurveda and supporting future generations of Ayurvedic professionals learn, grow and flourish.
- KAA Student Network: KAA has been teaching the AWP program in the US for over a decade and has a diverse network of students across US and internationally that are collaborating in various fields and advancing Ayurveda together.
- In-class and distance learning options: The AWP program can be completed in-class or online through live-streamed classes. Distance learners get to interact with teachers and peers in a live-streamed setting.
- In-person Internship: 200 hours or 4 weeks of in-person clinical internship is mandatory and supervised by Ayurvedic Vaidyas to create confident, capable practitioners who have hands-on experience.
- Internship Options: The clinical internship for AWP is offered in both US and India, open to students and graduates from other programs and AWP alumni for continuing education. The U.S. Clinical Internship is offered in five day, week-long sessions at our Wellness Center in California. AWP students may attend four sessions to complete their 200 hour requirement, or supplement one week with an Externship.
- India Internship Option: There is a unique opportunity to intern in India, shadowing Ayurvedic Vaidyas in a setting where Ayurveda is a regular medical practice and with access to Kerala Ayurveda’s extensive infrastructure in India in an authentic, exotic setting as a one-of-a-kind experience. Our India Internship is offered in 15-day sessions for a total of 150 hours, which can be supplemented by one week of our U.S. Clinical Internship to complete the 200 hour requirement.
- Allied programs and continuing education: During the Ayurvedic wellness training, you are ably supported by teachers, class moderators and have access to mentors and support services. Alumni have continued access to the curriculum even after graduation and discounts on products and programs. You can also enroll for continuing education courses like monthly clinical case studies, courses in Pulse Diagnosis, Vedic Formulations and Ashtanga Hridayam series to name a few.
Ayurveda Practitioner training expands your range of knowledge and the healing you can provide. We are deeply committed to your Ayurvedic education and delighted to be on this healing journey with you!
“Om Sarve Bhavantu Sukhinah
Sarve Santu Niramayaah |
Sarve Bhadrani Pashyantu
Maa Kashcid Dukha Bhaag Bhavet
Om Shanti Shanti Shantihi ||”
Translation: May all beings be happy, free from disease, witness what is auspicious, may no one suffer, may there be peace.
Connect with our Enrollment Advisors to start building your future
If you are wondering how to fit Ayurvedic study into your life for your unique goals, our Admissions team is happy to connect with you. Our Enrollment Advisors are available for one-on-one sessions to support you in planning your learning journey. Complete our contact form and we’ll be in touch!