During the summer or Pitta season, Agni (digestive fire) is lower and lighter, easily-digested fare is optimal. Quinoa is nutrient-rich and more easily digested than brown and wild rice, making it an excellent backdrop for this summertime dish full of Pitta-pacifying ingredients. Bright, earthy golden beets add richness and color, while our crisp green veggies and herbs add seasonal brightness and refreshing coolness. You can serve this dish warm or room temperature.
- Quinoa and green beans provide fiber, protein and minerals
- Turmeric is anti-inflammitory
- Cumin seed aids digestion and immunity
- Leafy greens are detoxifying, cooling and provide vitamins and minerals
- Avocado is high in both protein, minerals and vitamins, nourishes liver, lungs, skin and blood
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup red (or white) quinoa
- 2 cups water (or per quinoa pkg instructions)
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ lb green beans
- 4 cups loosely packed baby kale
- ½ ripe avocado, peeled
- ¼ cup fresh herbs of your choice e.g. cilantro, mint, dill
- 2 golden beets
- ¼ cup olive oil for dressing, plus 1 tbsp for beets
- 2 limes
- ¼ tsp cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- Beets can be prepared in advance: preheat oven to 375 degrees. Scrub and peel beets, then chop into bite-size pieces. Toss beet pieces in 1 tbsp olive oil and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
- Clean, trim and cut green beans, kale and avocado into bite-size pieces. Chop the fresh herbs finely.
- Cook green beans: bring 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan to a boil, add green beans and cook for 3-4 minutes. Drain cooked beans and plunge into cold water to stop cooking, set aside.
- Cook quinoa according to package directions, adding turmeric to water.
- While quinoa cooks, prepare dressing by combining olive oil, lime juice and cumin, whisk together.
- Once quinoa is cooked but still warm, mix in baby kale to wilt slightly.
- To the quinoa and kale, add in beets, greens beans, avocado and fresh herbs, then toss together with the dressing.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, serve and enjoy!
Protein Boost for each Dosha
For an extra boost of protein, try adding chickpeas (garbanzo beans) for balancing Pitta, almonds for Vata and roasted pumpkin seeds for Kapha.